Welcome to our American culture where the fall is consumed with football almost every single day of the week! Don’t get me wrong I LOVE football but it’s not always good for our waistlines. I think it’s safe to say, even by simply watching the commercials, that alcohol accompanies football for many people AND add on those hot wings and extra cheese pizzas and you have a season full of unhealthiness.
Have no fear — you can make your favorite finger foods and unhealthy football treats right at home that taste just as good and will save you money….Let’s start with one of my absolute favorites from The Curvy Carrot! ((my football obsessed boyfriend LOVES these & requests them often!))
Buffalo “Chicken” – Vegetarian Style!
Servings: enough for at least 3-4 people
1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 cup buffalo sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
For serving: Bleu cheese dressing, celery, etc. (I personally just ate them plain because they were so good)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, flour, and garlic salt, whisking until mostly smooth (it’s ok if there are a few lumps left).
- Very gently (cauliflower can be pretty delicate), place the cauliflower in the bowl and lightly toss to completely coat with the buttermilk mixture.
- Place the cauliflower in a shallow baking dish and bake for about 15-18 minutes or so (watch it, it may start to brown up quickly on you.)
- Meanwhile, combine the buffalo sauce and the melted butter in a small bowl.
- Carefully remove the hot cauliflower from the oven and pour the buffalo sauce mixture over it, stirring gently to coat it as best you can.
- Return the cauliflower to the oven and bake for another 5-8 minutes or so. Let cool slightly and serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of: http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2012/08/18/buffalo-chicken-vegetarian-style/